Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Muppets on THE DICK CAVETT SHOW

My little sister and me in 1971 when the show aired.
This isn't exactly about SESAME collectibles, but it's also far too good not to share.

On Thanksgiving night, November 25, 1971 the Muppets were the guests for all 90 minutes of THE DICK CAVETT SHOW. In Albuquerque, where I grew up, the show aired from 10:30 PM until Midnight. I begged, BEGGED, my parents to let me stay up and watch. Given that it was Thanksgiving (and that there was no school the next day) my parents agreed.  I think I may have taken a nap from bed time until 10:30 when the show began. But I vividly remember most of the show.

I especially remembered Thog, who became a favorite Muppet, even though I didn't see him again from this introduction until his appearance in the opening of THE MUPPET SHOW.

I also loved seeing Henson put on Kermit. I was fascinated at how he treated the puppets, like no more than a piece of fabric, until he had them fully on his hand and they came to life. I was also incredibly excited to see Carroll Spinney in his Big Bird legs.

The 90 minute show also includes interviews with Henson, Frank Oz, and Jerry Nelson; and appearances by all the regular SESAME Muppets. There are a couple clips from THE FROG PRINCE, and Henson shows models from the animated "King of 8" film.  At the end of the show there is a plug for the just-released Topper SESAME puppets and they show the 20" Big Bird toy.


Big Bird, Jim Henson, Dick Cavett, & Thog look at the new Topper Toys!

Dick Cavett says he wants a complete set of them. I got mine for Christmas exactly a month later! Many thanks to the kind person who posted the entire show on YOUTUBE (including the vintage commercials!)



No comments:

Post a Comment