Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Muppets with Puppets!

One of my favorite parts of the original Topper/Educational Toys SESAME STREET puppets was the super packaging (see two previous posts). The sides of the box were decorated with artwork by my favorite SESAME STREET artist, Jack Davis, though I had no idea of who the artist was when I was a kid back in 1971 and became enchanted with the imagery.  Here it is for you to peruse:



There is so much character (and story!) in the illustration. Almost everyone is having fun with their puppets. Ernie is feeding his Cookie Monster a cookie, Oscar seems excited to add a Big Bird to his trash collection, Cookie Monster seems to really like his little Oscar puppet.  But Bert has a puppet of himself, and neither Bert nor Bert's puppet seems all that happy with the situation.  But it's very "right."  Bert really doesn't seem like the kind of person that is into puppets, does he?

To close out this year's last blog post I thought I'd share a photo of one of my Roosevelt Franklin puppets playing with his own Bert puppet. Bert is a German import produced by the Igel toy company in 1994.  Happy New Year from Grover's Corner!


No comments:

Post a Comment